3d printing in automotive industry
Automotive industry involves design, development, manufacturing, marketing, and selling of motor vehicles.
It encompasses all the companies and activities involved in the manufacture of motor vehicles, including most components, such as engines and bodies, but excluding tires, batteries, and fuel.
Automotive industry majorly produces passenger automobiles like cars and bikes, light trucks, including pickups, vans, sport utility vehicles, and buses.
Revolutionizing with 3D Printing
3D printing is a proven technology used by automotive engineers and designers to produce high fidelity physical prototypes for design verification and testing. Although automotive industry has been using 3D printing technology since many years now, there are still numerous segments where 3D printing can bring about a difference. From manufacturing automobile components to 3D printing the whole vehicle with personal customization, applications of 3D printing are boundless.
Most automotive industries opt for 3D printing because:
- Greatly reduces the production time
- Testing new designs is relatively easy and hence offers flexibility in design
- End product can be predictable and the flaws can be eliminated resulting in risk-free products
- Cost effective as it eliminates tool manufacturing costs and helps in material optimization
- Strength and durability of the product can be validated before tooling process
- Eco-friendly manufacturing method as this technology utilizes recyclable materials that have low rate of fuel emission